As the weather gets warmer, nothing says spring better than a refreshing, herbal and floral homemade cocktail like the Thai Basil Collins.
The Thai Basil Collins is a refreshing take on the classic Tom Collins, and it is perfect for sipping on a warm spring day. With the addition of Thai basil syrup, this cocktail has a unique and unexpected flavor that’s sure to impress anyone who’ll try it!
The Tom Collins is a classic cocktail that dates back to the mid-19th century. It’s believed to have originated in New York City, where it was first mentioned in a newspaper in 1874. It was popularized in the 1890s when soda water became widely available and was commonly found on tap in bars. The drink’s popularity surged during Prohibition in the 1920s, when gin became the spirit of choice for bootleggers and speakeasies. The Tom Collins was a popular choice because the lemon juice and soda water helped to mask the taste of the low-quality gin that was being produced during this time.
Today, the Tom Collins remains a popular classic cocktail that can be found on menus in bars and restaurants around the world. Its simple yet refreshing flavor makes it the perfect drink for any occasion, from brunches to summer barbecues.
This Thai Basil Collins recipe is a personal take on the Tom Collins, and it’s the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of spring.
- 2 oz gin (I used Gin from Distillerie Castan in France)
- 3/4 oz Thai basil syrup (recipe below)
- 3/4 oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Club soda
- Lemon peel & garden herbs for garnish (I used Thai basil)
- Combine all ingredients except for the soda in a shaker.
- Shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a 10-ounce highball glass over a large ice cube.
- Top the drink with soda.
- Garnish with fresh garden herbs and a lemon peel.
- For the Thai Basil Syrup:
- Combine 2 cups of Thai basil with 1 cup of granulated cane sugar and 1 cup of water in a pot.
- Stir on light heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Place the mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate for about a week.